The main benefits of creating an Infographic are traffic and natural link building. If you can create an Infographic that is interesting and useful, people will tend to share it. In many cases, if they post it on their sites, they will include a link back to yours (ideally). And if your Infographic proves it’s worth, it’s bound to get noticed and go viral.
The How a Bad Infographic can ruin your Business Infographic is a great example of one that went viral. Why? It’s simple really. We implemented these steps:
- We brainstormed a great topic. When it comes to Viral Marketing, Infographics are all the rage. So why not create an Infographic, about Infographics? The concept wasn’t fairly new, or original, but we found the perfect twist: Designers were lamenting on how horrible some Infographics were designed. Hence, the first part of the topic, ‘Bad Infographics’. And to really grab attention, we targeted ‘Bad Business’. Finally, nailing it with ‘How a Bad Infographic can ruin your Business’.
We loved the idea so much, we created an Illustration of a man holding a lit light bulb. 🙂
- Research. The two most important elements of an Infographic are the Information and the Design. We scoured the web for data relevant to our topic, keeping in mind the market’s current trends and acquired relevant sources to back up our findings.
- Design. This is the most crucial part of any Infographic. (Please note: No clipart was used in the making of this Infographic.) Talented and Professional designers slaved in creating a cool and unique Infographic design. Initial designs became revisions. Eventually, they got the colors, layout, font, illustrations, and graphics all right. The Infographic was definitely a looker.
- Publish. We posted the Infographic on our blog and included it in our portfolio. But we didn’t stop there. We also submitted it to the following directories: Visual.ly, Infographics Only, and All Infographics (as well as other free Infographic hosting sites).
- Share. From Social Networking sites to manual sharing via email. We went all out. The Infographic was Tweeted, re-tweeted, pined and re-pined, shared and linked. It was a like a succulent piece of cake and everyone wanted a bite. Notable bloggers and Social Media enthusiasts embedded the Infographic to their sites. Not to brag (too much) but here’s an extensive list:
– Marketing Hits
– Scent Trail Marketing
– Pay Per Click Marketing Blog
– Infographic Pins
It took a lot of effort for the Infographic to go viral, but it did. With over 3,000 hits on Visual.ly and close to 5,000 views on Trendhunter alone, we undoubtedly got the Infographic right. The way an Infographic is promoted isn’t the only thing to bear in mind; Subject, Design and Layout are key.
While the Infographic kept on gaining popularity, we were receiving numerous requests from bloggers and readers to create a video version of this Infographic. So in 2013, we decided to bring it in a new form, that is, as a Video Infographic. Have a look here. Are you also of the opinion that this video is on its way to go viral?
[youtube LZ8sMWzG7x4 nolink]