The world has gone mobile, and the web is continuously evolving.
But, as an Internet marketer, just investing in Mobile Optimization will not fetch you good SEO ranking. To stay on the top of the trend, you need to set the trend!
Mobile device users with low patience quotient and lots of data to skim through, will not navigate your content if your interface is slow to load, cluttered and finger-unfriendly. Google has made it quite evident that it fully intends on pushing the limits, particularly with the way it is striving reinvigorate the mobile user experience. The next step towards delivering content through a mobile device is designed to be in a more eloquent fashion.
Enter Google’s Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP), a new project that taps into open-sourced technical components which promote page loading speed in mobile devices with one primary goal; faster mobile websites. This new development allows you to retain the integrity of your featured content. And with more than 16,000 pages being created with AMP each day, the project is booming on a great scale.
Google’s Accelerated Mobile Pages or AMP Project are truly an evolution of the mobile UX. This is, in essence, a framework designed to help serve web pages on mobile devices quicker, succinctly, and using fewer resources. It is also speculated that this is a response to Google to Facebook’s Instant Articles, which loads ten times faster than the mobile web. Whatever be the case, Google’s AMP is a ranking factor for a website and will have a potential impact on its organic visibility.
Several big companies that support AMP are BBC, Sankei, New York Times, News Corp and Washington Post and more. And technology providers supporting AMP are namely, Twitter, Pinterest, WordPress.com, Chartbeat, Parse.ly, Adobe Analytics and LinkedIn.
The AMP framework comprises the following three components that come together to help deliver Accelerated Mobile Pages:
- AMP HTML – A code markup that affixes specific HTML tags. This is needed to identify elements like images or texts, to seamlessly analyze information to a mobile device.
- CDN (Content Delivery Network) – The use of a CDN can expedite the delivery of content onto a mobile device. This is a critical element of Accelerated Mobile Pages technology.
WordPress users have good news for them. Well, because the AMP WordPress Plugin automatically transforms all posts on the site directly. This happens by appending the AMP HTML code and once it is dynamically generated, each post on the WordPress site becomes eligible for an Accelerated Mobile Page.
Amongst the many advantages of coding with AMP, we had hand-picked the top 5 benefits for you and listed them below:
1. Faster loading page for mobile users – Everything is about speed these days. Especially when it comes to presenting content on a mobile device. This is critically important because studies have shown that mobile users usually turn their back on a website that takes longer than 3 seconds to load. Businesses that adopt AMP can increase their page loading speed and increase conversions thus lowering mobile abandonment rates.
The average Accelerated Mobile Page loads 15%-85% quicker than a regular web page. It’s no surprise that one of the main benefits of website pages developed with AMP have page loading speed on mobile devices as fast as lightening. This speed aspect of AMP has made it so very popular amongst the Internet marketing fraternity. And day by day businesses are adopting it.
2. Improved search engine ranking – Though AMP has not been created with the idea in mind to make it an independant ranking factor. But it is an undeniable fact that mobile friendliness and page load speed times are one of the prime page ranking factors in Google. And as AMP efficiently upgrades these two elements, it is very much likely that a website developed with AMP will get higher rankings.
3. Increased visibility for Publishers – The search results will clearly display AMP symbols in green thus increasing the clarity. As a result, the click through rates would improve. This is because the results will not only stand out more, but users will seek for AMP pages with quicker loading times.
It doesn’t end here. Google SERPs have also introduced AMP content within visually dominating carousels containing large image files. This is surely going to draw the viewer’s attention and any content in these carousels will get a significant boost in traffic. Therefore, the faster your page, the higher you rank and the more your content gets seen.
4. Support for Ads – AMP supports a range of ad networks formats and technologies. The aim is to deliver the ads faster while retaining the quality of the content, make the content look good and draw the viewer’s attention. The advertisers can increase their influence and well as improve their ROI on ad spend. Because AMP is open source in nature, more than 70 advertising technology providers have already integrated with AMP, and still counting. Even the current tags that are delivered through supported ad server will also work in AMP.
And since AMP is not an advertising provider, ad publishers can monetize the AMP pages the way HTML pages were monetized and can keep the 100% revenue earned.
5. AMP Visitor Analytics – The need of tracking visitor behavior is of utmost importance these days, as Internet marketers strategize their next moves based on the analytics of their visitors’ behaviors. Fortunately, AMP takes this into account. Publishers can choose from two tags which will automatically track visitor data such as visitor counts, new vs. returning, clicks/conversions, video and link tracking and more.
Major businesses have already adopted AMP, and you can easily enjoy success like them by following their steps. Focus on AMP for your articles and blog content, and see your reader retention rates escalate like never before. As by now you may have understood that AMP provides a relatively easy way to improve the speed of mobile websites. So waste no more time, and start thinking about Accelerated Mobile Pages and implement them in your business today.