In this day of digital technology and advertising, it would be easy to say we should just forget the old ways of doing things and focus on the modern techniques. But that would be a mistake. Print media is still the single most important way to do a mass advertising campaign that will reach every person in the country!
Of course, you don’t need to reach every person in the entire world or country to be successful in your campaign. You only need to reach a good percent of the people in your niche market.
First, let’s talk about the print media. In the beginning, there was only print. The first type of advertising that was available to businesses was services such as postal delivery, which allow you to reach hundreds of people within a 50-mile radius or expand this to include thousands of others from more remote locations. You can spend as much as you want for your mailing campaign and reach the customers you need to reach to promote your brand.
However, the times have now changed and most businesses and brands have realized that print is not only often more expensive, it simply doesn’t deliver the ROI or tracking that online or digital marketing can deliver.
Types of Digital Media
There are many different types of digital media that you can use to promote your brand. Some of the most common types are listed below with a tip on how you can use them to promote your brand.
1. Audio/Podcasts– One of the best ways to get to your target audience is to get them to listen to you. If you create a theme-based podcast, you can draw a crowd from those that are interested in your topics. Many online eCommerce business owners have managed to stir up hype for their brand due to their online “live” and recorded broadcasts. You can do this through either podcasting or live streaming radio through an internet radio platform.
2. Video– Video is one of the best ways to get the attention of people you want to convert to a customer. Research and statistics show that up to 65% of people who view a video on a product purchase the product shortly after that. Video attracts people that other media doesn’t reach so it is to your advantage to use video whenever you can participate in your digital media campaigns.
3. Photos/Graphics– Using photos or stunning graphics on your page can also help to increase your level of engagement. Platforms such as Instagram and Pinterest are a great place to put your photos about something you are trying to promote within your business.
4. Infographics– Infographics take graphics a step further by creating a compelling message that focuses on a central topic. You can use infographics to create a timeline about your business to show people what you are about or just use it to promote specific products. There are hundreds of things you can do with an infographic so brainstorm some ideas today.
5. eBooks– There’s something to be said for writing a book. Even if you are not a professional writer, if you are a business owner you have something to say to your customers. Use the eBook to link out to your websites, blogs, social media, and other sites. Then use your book to offer your contact information, as well as other eBooks that you want to promote.
Millions of people are on Amazon daily looking for content through eBooks and audiobooks on Audible.com, Amazon’s sister company. If you write an eBook and turn it into an audiobook, you can double or triple the impact you have through a text-only book. If you don’t know what to write about, think about what your business is about and how you can address the issues that your customers are concerned about. This is where you should focus your efforts.
6. Websites/Blogs– Your website and blog are both concerned digital assets as well and they are a central part of your online digital content. Even if you do not have an active ad campaign going, you are still advertising every day with your website or blog. Make sure it reflects the important aspects of your business so that what you have on it will resonate with your target audience.
7. Social media posts– Social media is also one of the most valuable digital assets that you can use to promote your purpose as a business owner. This should be done strategically and not on a “hit and miss” effort. Think about how you should create your digital assets so that they will work on the social media platforms or social media to ss of viewers that will be on your social media to see what you do.
But how can you use print advertising to your best advantage in our digital world?
The best approach to an ad strategy is always to use all of the resources you have at your disposal. While print media is not as popular as it used to be, it is still very effective. If you put out a postcard campaign alone, you will get some responses. But the best idea is to create an ad strategy that attempts to integrate both print and digital media in the best way possible.
To get the most out of both print and digital media, you should have videos, infographics, websites, and social media working in conjunction with your print campaign. Some of the ways you can do this are mentioned below:
- Include your website and blog URLs on your postcard campaign.
- Offer a coupon code on your catalog, postcard, or mailer and require an online response to cash in.
- Create cross-platform ads that have similar assets such as your infographic or logo on both.
- Announce that you are mailing a “real-world” flyer to regular customer’s doors with a “lucky number” on it. Then award the winner by email for a coupon or gift. (Remember to check the rules regarding sweepstakes in your state and county of residence to make sure you follow the law on contests.)
- Ask customers to go to your site to subscribe to your online newsletter through your real-world mailers.
These are a few ways that you can combine the best of both print and digital media. There’s no doubt that digital media advertising has replaced traditional print ads in many ways. Magazines and newspapers are lowering the number of editions that they print and cutting down on their staff.
Corporate executives are seeing that their best ROI is obtained by using online video rather than paying thousands of dollars for TV network advertising.
However, it’s still good to keep an old bag of tricks handy that is proven to work in case you need them!
So our evaluation of which is best is that digitally is best. But digital is better when complemented by some smart use of the print media to complement your strategies.
If you want help creating a great infographic, call us today at infographicdesignteam.com. We know the importance of making an impact, and we can help you do that, no matter where you put your infographic.