What are Backlinks?
Backlinks or inbound links are the inward links that are redirecting to your website or a blog. Backlinks are an essential part of SEO because more inbound links mean higher is your chance of being indexed by the search spiders. Most of the search spiders include inbound links detection in their algorithm. And your website is likely to come on top of search engine index. Backlinks also escalate webtraffic to your website.
Importance of Backlinks
The primary importance of having backlinks or inward links is, this increases the popularity of a site. Google’s search spiders value inbound links a lot. Because they consider websites that have quality backlinks are more reliable than the ones that don’t. In search results, Google shows only those websites that have more relevant backlinks. The more people know you and visit your website, more is your popularity as well the web traffic. This is the reason, why so many websites desperately try every method possible to have more quality inbound links to their websites. To the extent of even using spammy techniques.
As already mentioned, backlinking falls into the category of SEO technique to increase the visibility of a website. This helps your target audience, and potential customers to find you out easily. The higher is your reach, more is the possibility of population penetration. And thus a commendable incoming traffic.
And when we talk about SEO, Page Ranking is an inseparable part of it. Page ranking is undoubtedly a pivotal factor which decides the position of your website in the search results. Backlinks help in improving your page ranking by spreading the reach of your website. But yes, you must ensure relevancy in it. For e.g., if your brand is about ladies accessories, and you are posting your website link in a blog which deals with software, then the backlink is likely to be irrelevant, and won’t improve your page ranking a bit.
Getting Quality Backlinks
Instead of taking resort to cunning tactics to develop links, such as buying or exchanging links, you can sit and think for a more methodical and full proof strategy. First, you must produce creative and informative contents and then develop strategies to improve your brand awareness and brand identity. If it clicks, then you might get back good backlinks from other websites. Ultimately it is a patience and effort game.
Well, as mentioned above, it is not always good to exchange backlinks with other websites. However, if you try and find an authentic site, then you may proceed. Getting linked to a fraudulent website can prove to be dangerous in the long run, and diminishes your chance of showing up first in a search result.
Below are the types of incoming links to your website.
- One way inbound links – This gives you more value and better results. One-way inbound links peak to your site from other websites.
- Reciprocal inward links – This is an old way of getting links. Two websites provide a hyperlink within their own website to each other’s websites. However, it is not popular now, and search spiders are not fond of them.
What are those Backlinks that you must avoid?
The backlinks that you should avoid:
Yes, there are several kinds that must never be a part of your website. Without you knowing there can be many spammy links that can do no good but harm your website.
Following are some of those –
- Google never gives value to sites that have little or poor content. And needless to say, links from such sites are incompetent, and carry negligible SEO value. So beware of those sites that have worthless contents.
- Google hates spam like anything. Posting spammy contents will make you lose your reputation instead of earning, as the users will drift away immediately seeing your spam contents. These are the most infamous repellent for web traffic. So stay away from spammy comments, and websites that indulge in such.
- There are numerous sites that don’t really provide any value to any visitor. Such as bookmarking ites, web directories, article directories, etc. Once you get your links submitted here, it is very difficult to remove and you just wait for your slow downfall. Beware of these.
With so much said, as of now it must be crystal-clear that quality backlinks are extremely important to search Engine Optimization. And therefore, backlinks or inbound links should be at the top of your SEO efforts list. Hope you now have an understanding why you need a good quality of inbound links to your site.
Any feedback to share, we are all ears. Please feel free to comment below and share your own thoughts. And any help needed for SEO and Backlinkings, feel free to touch base.