We seldom have come across the phrase “a picture is worth a thousand words.” Diving deeper into its analysis, we can make out that a visual piece can be interpreted through multiple understandings. This is the power of visual communication where the onlooker can get the hidden message by looking at the picture. In this era of internet, a compelling visual communication design can entice the unstable focus of the human mind and turn the attention towards it. This effective visual communication attribute makes it a significant inclusion in the digital marketing strategies of a company.
On a daily basis, we use visual communication across multiple verticals– like in textbooks, newspapers, social media, digital assets like blogs – eBooks – graphs – presentations – and many other types of collateral. These elements help in conveying the idea or the message entwined in it to the audience looking at it. This is the charm of visuals where a complex approach can be quickly and uncomplicatedly presented to effortless understanding. Many a times, without any visual we find it difficult to process a complex data; but when it is represented with relevant graphical elements like those found in an infographic, comprehending them becomes easy. The importance of visual aid in communication can be seen more when the information is delivered more directly.
Effective attributes of implementing visual communication designs:
- Among many benefits of visual communication, one significant is its characteristic of being versatile in communication. In the past, a single picture could convey different ideas. For example, the picture of Mona Lisa, the world-famous painting by the Italian prodigy Leonardo da Vinci has never been able to satiate the curious minds of millions of onlookers across the world. Everybody has their own share of opinions with that intriguing smile of the lady that stirs multiple emotions in them. What we want to say in this point is that visual communication can appeal to the mass media where you can talk or canvass for your product or service to the people belonging from a separate geographical area. In case your business faces a challenge in communicating with the culture and language, a visual will just do the job effectively.
- The impact of visual communication becomes fortified when visual communication design is compelling and attention-grabbing. People are known to remember 10% of what they hear, 20% of what they read and 80% of what they read (Source). Herein lies the prospect of visual communication aids where complex information and ideas are shared through colorful graphical images. The best example can be given through the human nature, which resists in reading an out-an-out textual blog or article that does not have any kind of image or graphics in it. In case a blog post has longer paragraphs, that can be smartly replaced with charts or diagrams (if the information put is relevant) that convey the same thing visually. This is much more engaging and appealing.
- Want to spark the audience interest? There is no better way than harnessing the power of visual communication. An image, as mentioned above, comes with the power of invoking emotions and thoughts within the onlooker, than what words are spoken or written can do. The best example can be the newspaper based ad campaigns by any retailer where lesser texts are used to describe the products that are already featured through images. This connects to the audience interest more than any other content option for marketing. The same can happen over the internet where the retailer catalogs are found with e-Commerce websites.
- Elaborating on the point above, visual elements accompanied with relevant texts increase the appeal of the advertised products or services thus being successful in winning the audience trust and faith in the brand that goes a long way. We are not only talking about images or infographics here, but we are hinting at the process of visual communication established through marketing videos. Videos are like the verbal as well as visual windows to a service or a product that is providing a detailed peek into them, aiding the customers to make a purchase decision in favor of the brand.
- In crucial business communications like meeting or presentations, visual contents play a significant role in emphasizing the verbal communication. The technology has aided us in delivering essential business information through seamless communication channels. For instance, AR/VR has been helping businesses to pitch their products to people through life-like demonstrations. The pitchings might not have been equally effective if the professionals continued with their way of verbal communication. What we are trying to infer here thus is the fact that visual communication helps in strengthening the verbal points by accompanying them on papers o through any other media. The point can also be established with the art of presentation where the slides graphically represent or back up the presenter who is unreeling his or her idea to the panels. Without the graphic representation of numbers, conceptualizing and ideation may take seem to be grey with the clients, audience and management. Visuals uphold the key feature of any proposal for forming any marketing or branding endeavors.
- The concept of holography is creeping its way into the new-age marketing. In various business events that highlight technology as their harbinger of a new phase, we have come across the usage of holographic images- graphics emulated through lights. This is also a new way of enticing the audience attention towards a brand who wants to establish itself as a trusted entity backed with the latest innovations. Given the digital age we are residing in, this impression of being ‘science smart’ counts a lot with the consumers as they consider seamless speed of service and addressal of their issues play a significant role in brand loyalty. Therefore, we can rightly conclude that in many areas, visual communication plays a vital role in to convey a brand message intuitively that any other form of content can do.
- Visual communication relays a business message faster than any other content – which means a business can take faster decisions of marketing and growth. Exchanging information becomes easy, viewing content is seamless and understanding the information is convenient; this cycle increases the business reach beyond the known quarters helping both the business owners and customers come closer for mutual benefits.
Let’s explore the numerous types of visual communication:
In the above portion, we have highlighted the advantages and aspects of visual communication design in business. In this section, we’ll be exploring the different types and elements of visual communication that requires our basic understanding before we can effectively harness them for a business boom.
Visual communication depends on our vision. It is mainly represented through multi-dimensional charts and graphs. In case of the two-dimensional images they include
- Animation colors and electronic sources
- Animated illustration
- Industrial designs
- Pie charts
- Drawings & sketches
Given the times we are dwelling in, visual communication has outgrown the 2D arena, which includes:
Here in this instance, we are connoting the mobile object that involves staging and using of it for any kind of demonstration to get the message across. This is a suitable element or aid of visual communication as the audience can connect and address to what they are seeing.
For example, before in the automobile industry, people used to get their ideas of innovation to the audience on charts, graphs or slides; but with the invention of 3 Dimensional printers, the job has become easy as the engineers can create models based on their designs to give live demonstration of his or her ideas to them.
Extending the example above, models today are not dependent on the clay modeling, Styrofoam or any other artsy project skills, It is possible to represent a smaller version of any life-like concept with the 3D printing technology.
This helps in full comprehension and understanding of the objects or concepts and both the company and the customer base can make quick decisions in favor of it.
Thanks to the evolutionary Google Maps, we have been able to see the real-time movements of traffic on the road and not even that, we can also view the satellite imagery of any place of the globe in 3 dimensional formats with the evolving technology. What we had encountered in the science-fiction movies all this time is gradually becoming a reality for us. The evolved maps do create a big difference in the understanding of a place even when we have never treaded there.
Before in documental reports or slides we could perceive the quantitative differences on diagrams, but with multi-dimensional visual aids, today it has become possible for us not only to see but also to experience them.
The most prominent example of this is how we teach children about objects with visuals. Often textual descriptions prove to be incomprehensive for people. So to help them understand, we use visuals photographs or illustrative images.
The medium where visual communication elements can be projected:
- Computerized or computer-assisted presentations
- Display picture handouts
- Poster boards
- Whiteboards or chalkboards
Just like every good thing, even the visual communication comes with its set of limitations like:
- Visual communication is a costly method. How? The technologically upgraded visual aids require the right amount of funding to be enhanced with intuitive features that make utilizing them seamless.
- The presentation of visual aids may not prove to be uncomplicated at the first. It is very much possible that the people of receiving end are not well-articulated with the changing technology, enough to understand an idea in a new way.
- Many consider visual communication as an incomplete way of communication unless it is accompanied by any verbal or documental material, especially while pitching a new concept.
- Since the advanced visual component elements require correctly assembled platforms, the set up may take a lot of time for any kind of live demonstration. This also proves to be a draining factor of resources to many.
- Let’s face it, technology may be evolving at a steady pace on a daily scale, but a majority of people, especially in the senior sections, are finding it critical to keep up with. For them, visual communication seems to be no less than a hardship. The best example will be how the elderlies are into handling the concepts of internet socializing or accessing the net over mobile devices.
- General readers i.e., people in daily life who prefer to communicate in the conventional ways find visual communication aids to be ways that are meant for high-end or sophisticated connectivity.
- Other limitations include accessibility, situational and ambiguous problems.
The challenge for visual communication is to overcome all these hindrances in the times ahead and establish itself as a communicative and connective solution for all and sundry.
Need visuals for your business that stir interest?
Put your faith in the services of professional visual content designing agencies, who with their skill of creative storytelling will put up some of the finest designs for your marketing endeavors. Find your business messages expertly woven into them that fetches the desired traction and reach for your brand’s goodwill. Explore & choose from their versatile designs and make your business ready for the futuristic communication revolution.